Friday, July 10, 2009

To Be or Not To Be



I don’t know if I should be concerned or if this is normal behavior. As a society we applaud the girl who wants to follow a career path that is traditionally considered male. If Daddy’s little girl wants to be a fireman or a race car driver then Daddy cheers, but not so much when it’s the other way around. If Daddy’s little boy wants to be a hairdresser or ballet dancer then Daddy tries to lock him in the house so the neighbors won’t see. Why is masculinity praised and femininity shunned?

My almost-three-year-old little boy likes to wear dress up princess clothes and play Barbies. There I said it. Maybe it is because he follows two sisters. Maybe it is because he likes to play with Morgan and her friends. Maybe when he is a linebacker on the high school football team he will hate me for writing this.

Dad thinks his son has issues. Mom thinks it should be okay to show a sensitive side. He plays with trucks, balls, tools, and dirt also. We shouldn’t have to be rough and tough all the time – whether we are boys or girls.

So, when my son saunters into the kitchen in his blue satin skirt and says, “I can’t find my other glass slipper” I take him by the hand and help him locate the missing shoe.

5 comments:

Perpetual Mommy Exhaustion said...

Someday when he's a daddy, helping a little girl have a tea party, your open mind will be rewarded.

Sarah's Project said...

Well I realize my comments are completely biased since I have 3 girls and 1 boy, but I'm with you. When Josh cries because he wants to get his toe nails polished I bring out the glow in the dark green. I figure that's manly enough right?

Gwen said...

Wyatt loves to watch Barbie movies with Lydia just as much as his Ninja turtle ones. He also likes to play with her doll house and other girlie things...but he also knows how to drop his pants in a public park and pee...Yeah, I think we're good ;)

BRiTTaNY said...

I agree with you, it's nothing to stress about and i'm sure he'll grow out of it...but if I come home to find him painting his toes with my favorite polish again, we're going to have real issues... :)

Unknown said...

At least it was BLUE polish. He actually did a pretty good job.