Saturday, July 18, 2009

Search for Peace

I think we all have stressful days. Days when the kids wake up grumpy and fight all day long. Days when no matter how many times you sweep there is still a trail of sand and crumbs across the kitchen floor. Days when dinner is not ready for your husband who has worked hard all day and deserves a home-cooked meal when he comes home. I could go on. . .

I decided that I needed to do something to help lift my spirits and bring peace into my life. I needed a refuge from the storm but it needed to be something that I could carry with me all day long. (Kind of like a compact umbrella that folds up and fits into your purse.) As I thought about what I could do I realized I had not memorized a scripture for many years. And many of the scriptures that I had once memorized have mostly been forgotten. I looked up a few verses that are related to comfort and peace and decided on one to start memorizing.

When I was in college I often posted note cards on my bathroom mirror when I needed to memorize facts for a test. So, I copied my first scripture onto a note card and posted it on my mirror.

“For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes.”
Revelation 7:17


After Scott showered that night he came to me looking very confused and asked what the note on the mirror meant. I hadn’t made the connection before but maybe that was not the best place to post this scripture. I assured him that the “throne” and the “living fountains of waters” made no reference to the bathroom and I would not be leading or feeding anyone there. And, while I do sometimes lock myself in the bathroom to cry, this scripture is not related to my bathroom in any way. Scott just looked at me like I was crazy.

I am glad to report though, that in one short week I have memorized my first scripture and am on to the next. Gradually I am building my compact umbrella that I can pull out when ever the storms of life hit.

2 comments:

Brandon and Brittany said...

I love you. This is great. I have started doing the exact same thing and making little 3x5 note cards to keep by my bed to memorize. maybe we can share uplifting scriptures.
We all have those days and it is always comforting to know that I'm not the only one who re-sweeps my floor 6 times a day ;)

Unknown said...

I haven't done that every, what a great idea. I've always just accepted that I have a horrible memory and never tried to memorize anything (hence the love of journaling- so I can look back on life). But what a great idea. I love Scott's comment, we really should hang out more. He & Joaquin just think alike.