Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Home Ec Class

As part of our Summer School adventures, we learned to sew. I could never get Brittany interested in sewing. She always had other things to do. But Morgan has been begging me to teach her to sew.

We learned about measuring and using the right tools when we measure. (You wouldn't want to use a ruler to measure the distance into town. Zane said that would take us all day.) I sent the kids on a scavenger hunt and they had to find things outside that matched the list of measurements I gave them. We mostly have sticks and rocks it seems, but they easily made the sticks the right length and easily completed the scavenger hunt.

Then, we measured fabric and Morgan cut out some rectangles. She helped me stitch them together to form tabs. 
 
I stitched on the velcro and then stitched them onto the curling iron, blow dryer, etc. cords. I have one very tidy basket now with all the cords neatly contained.

We finished another baby blanket for a new baby in our ward. It looked a little plain so Morgan helped me make pink yo-yos to attach to it. Spiced it right up! (I'm grateful to all the Relief Society sisters that helped stitch this one together!)



 Since the sewing machine was out, I grabbed an old t-shirt and turned it into a cute skirt for Morgan.
 
 I love the stripes!

Hopefully Morgan will continue with her love of sewing as she gets older.

2 comments:

Brittany said...

Glad you are teaching her!! I still don't have much patience for sewing. Wish I'd taken the time & learned some basics though haha. Skirt turned out super cute, and so did the baby quilt! ♥

Dawn said...

Good Job Morgan. Lex likes to sew too. In fact she just finished her first quilting class, now WE just have to finish the quilt.....