Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Our Little Family Grows...and Grows... and Grows

A friend at church said she had some wild kittens living in the bushes beside her garage that needed a home. She was concerned her dogs were going to eat them. I've been looking for a cat to help shrink the mouse population but didn't want a litter box trained pet. I needed a rugged, outdoor cat. This sounded perfect to me.

She trapped one and I brought it home. It hissed and howled at me and hid in the wood pile. I would set out food but could never actually see it eating. Occasionally we would see it dart between outbuildings. 

Scott knew the kids wanted a pet and this wild kitty was not going to be it. He picked out two friendly kittens that had been living at the feedlot and brought them home. 

A few days later, my friend caught another wild kitten. We added this one to our collection as well. It seemed to be missing it's mama and snuggled up with the two bigger kittens. The first wild kitten then started spending more time by the house as well.


We now have Princess, Ninja, Shaggy, and Scaredy Cat. Princess comes to the door with her feet muddy and a feather hanging from her mouth. Ninja is too busy bathing to get his feet dirty. Shaggy pokes himself in the eye with his own tail and constantly wants to eat. And Scaredy Cat, well, he still hides a lot but will sit at my feet when I sit on the steps petting the others.

If they do their job then they can stay.

1 comment:

Brittany said...

Sounds like you got Princess and Ninja mixed up! ;) I find it hilarious that you finally cracking and allowing the kids to have one kitty has blossomed into this. Love you guys!