Wednesday, November 7, 2012

God Bless America!

The TV channels have been full of political ads and the kids have been learning about politics in school. That's just the way it is when it's an election year. I was amazed that even my children could tell the difference between the two main candidates. When certain ads would be on, Zane would turn to me and say, "He's really a bad guy." 

Zane's class got to "vote" yesterday and he said he voted for Romney. I asked him why and he said it was because Romney likes cold cereal and riding horses just like he does. Sweet innocence! Then I asked Morgan who she would vote for and she said Romney as well. I asked her why and she announced, without hesitation, "because he knows how to pray to God for help and he knows how to go to the temple too." So wise!

The kids struggled to go to bed last night because the race was so close and they desperately wanted to know the winner. Zane was up early this morning asking me who won. When I told him he growled in anger and stomped off to tell Morgan. She too was angry. And then we all cried.

The first thing I did when I woke up this morning was open my scriptures. They fell open to 3 Nephi chapter one and my heart was filled with peace as I read, "Lift up your head and be of good cheer; for behold the time is at hand..." 

I grabbed my scriptures and shared this with my children. We talked about how we know that God's "team" will win and we just need to make sure we are on that team. Even though our guy didn't win the election, we can know we did right because we voted for him. Even though our leaders don't always make the best decisions, we can stand up for what is right no matter what. I told them to always be willing to fight for what is right and never give in, even if it may seem like the bad guys are winning. The Lord will protect and bless those who follow Him.

We then had 15 minutes to eat, brush teeth, put shoes on, feed the cats, and get on the bus. And we made it!

I heard a reporter say that the Republican Party messed up big and picked the wrong guy to run. Really? I wanted to tell the reporter to read Mosiah 29:27.

God Bless America!

No comments: