Friday, December 14, 2012

The JOY of an Ugly Sweater

Scott sent me a text Monday afternoon stating he needed an "ugly Christmas sweater" by Wednesday morning. I added "Salvation Army" to my list of errands for Tuesday morning and hoped I could find something there that would work.

The men's sweaters were either brown or Huskers red. Too plain. Then I turned to the women's rack and found a soft sweater in shades of burgundy, green, and gold stripes. I wasn't sure if it would be big enough to fit Scott but decided we would make it fit. There weren't any other options.

As I drove home I tried to think of what I could do to make it a little more festive. We had a $50 Cabelas gift card at stake here. A Christmas tree applique might work... Or maybe a reindeer with a big red nose and a string of jingle bells stuck in his antlers... humm... Or a cat. A Christmas cat... One thing was for sure, it had to have bright, gold jingle bells!

Scott came home for lunch to take a look at the sweater. He suggested a horse with a Santa hat. Then one thing led to another (the jingle bells were a must) and when Scott came home from work I was putting the finishing touches on our creation.

Yes. That is a horse pooping jingle bells. What else would a cowboy wear?


So perfectly perfect! In fact, we won first place at the annual Dinklage Feedlot ugly Christmas sweater contest! Woot! I have finally found what I am good at.

Zane was intrigued as he watched me stitch on the horse. When I added the jingle bells he was thrilled and begged me to make him one just like it. Maybe next year my boys will all have matching sweaters.


1 comment:

Jenni Call said...

That is hilarious. Scott looks pleased with his sweater. Crack me up.