Sunday, January 6, 2013

Let There be {Peace} on Earth


"Let there be peace on earth. And let it begin with me!" This is one of my favorite Christmas songs and it seemed to be stuck in my mind this past month. I would wake up singing it. I would go to bed singing it. I would blurt it out while folding laundry. It has just been constantly on my mind.

Then, I went to church today. It seemed the hymns were about peace. The lessons were about peace. Everything is about peace! So, that is my focus this year. What is true peace and how do we find it? 

Can there really be peace on earth? And does it really begin with me?

I've thought about how peace can begin with me... If I, one little ol mother, can encourage and teach peace in my home, maybe it can make a difference. Hopefully my home can be a place of peace and that's a start. Hopefully we can carry that peace with us when we go out and bring peace to someone else as well. Maybe there can be peace on earth!

"I come to you tonight with a plea that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we try to "accentuate the positive." I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment virtue and effort."  
~ Gordon B. Hinckley ~

No comments: