Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Confessions of a Hoarder





I have boxes in my garage that have not been opened since we first moved to Idaho, seven years ago. I have boxes of stuff that I have not used since Brittany was little. I have boxes of dishes and silverware that have never been used. And I have almost all of Morgan and Zane’s baby clothes.

This is a problem that I have always had. I saved everything as a kid and wanted my Halloween candy to last all year. And my children are the same way.

Last week Brittany turned on Oprah and it was about a woman who shopped everyday and had filled their home (over 3,000 square feet) full of stuff. She had trails through some of the rooms but many of the rooms you could not even get into. After much pleading from her children she realized she had a problem.

I am nothing like this woman but it did make me start to think. If I need something that is stored in my garage I have to search through boxes to find it. And if I am storing things and not using them I am really wasting them. If I don’t need something maybe someone else could use it. Clothes stored in the garage for 10 years are just out of style and dirty so why not give them to someone who can use them while they are still good.

I have started cleaning out and have a pickup load for goodwill already. I have only had a couple panic attacks (the fear that I will need something as soon as I get rid of it) but I think I will feel better once it is all cleaned out. I even convinced Brittany to toss her 5th grade papers and notes from friends.

I have a lot of work to do but it honestly feels good to de-clutter!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I think it is liberating to get rid of stuff. Honestly, we could all live with 1/2 the stuff we have. We don't have many places around here to donate to so I have been putting just little things on Ebay and have over a $100 from 8 pieces of clothing (I would have never worn) and everything sell will go towards our trip to NZ next year! Have fun. I love de-cluttering!