Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Modern Technology

I have decided that I am too dependent on modern technology. But what can I do about it? The last several weeks have been full of hard lessons and humbling experiences, which have made me even more grateful for many of our modern conveniences that I often take for granted. For example . . .

I was so thrilled to finally have high-speed internet. Then the wind promptly blew my antenna off course. Because of the holidays we suffered for over a week with NO internet.

And you all remember my recent experience with the entire computer crashing. I have been backing up everything and printing documents that I need to keep forever instead of just relying on my computer to hold it all.

Even beyond the computer, these past two weeks I have been especially thankful for things like my car to get me safely to where I am going and home again, an alarm clock to make sure I get up on time, a CD player that allows me to listen to the wonderful music I love (like Jim Brickman), a microwave oven to cook with, and a vacuum cleaner to pick up all the crumbs. I think I have been most thankful for a furnace to keep my family warm as the icy winds blow outside.

There is so much more but I will stop there. However, I am thankful for the humbling experiences that help me remember all that I have to be thankful for. I am most grateful for my family and friends. You all make the JOURNEY more enjoyable!

1 comment:

Sarah's Project said...

What a nice little entry! I've been feeling pretty low lately because I can't stop coughing - so thanks for the "count your blessings" thought. I need to do more of that-