Thursday, June 4, 2009

Last Day of School

I’m almost embarrassed to admit that today has been a very emotional day for me. I think I have cried more today than I did the first day of school. As I watched Morgan walk out of the school with her class I had to fight back the tears. She suddenly looked so grown up.

I am thrilled that Morgan did so well in kindergarten and made so much progress. It was a rocky start but once she figured it out she took off. (She even tied for the Top Reader award for reading the most minutes.) She is excited to be able to read words and she wants to count everything.

After I picked Morgan up from school we went to speech therapy. She finally tested as “normal” for her age. I almost cried again. We still have a few things to work on but I am amazed, once again, at the progress she has made.

Cleaning out Morgan’s backpack I suddenly had the desire to create a scrapbook page for her book. Using a few things that came home with her today, I threw this page together. . . with a pocket to hold her report card.


I’m going to be a mean mom this summer. I have it all planned. We are going to have 15 – 20 minutes of school time every morning. I don’t want Morgan to have to start all over when she goes to first grade. She needs help remembering all the things that she has learned. I am going to try to make it fun for her. Hopefully she won’t even notice that she is doing school work.

I am off to bake cupcakes. Tonight we celebrate!

6 comments:

Rachel Berry said...

Yahoo for Morgan!!!
If you think your a mean mom we are doing 30 mins of school work this summer. The kids aren't happy about it but hey they will get over it. :)

Cute scrapbook page, I'm excited I finally get to go scrapbook kid free for 4 days in Hayden Idaho should be a fun time.

:)rachel

Brandon and Brittany said...

How exciting! I'm getting all teary all ready imagining Kami going to school. That and nervous, wow I hope I've taught her enough... I feel so unprepared. We are doing school work this summer as well.

Gwen said...

Morgan only missed 3 DAYS of school this entire year?! (I can see it on her report card) I'm WAY impressed...lydia missed 13. One of them being today. It was so sad she had to miss her last day because she wasn't feeling well, but we did go say bye to her teachers. I have to admit that I wasn't sad for her to be done though. I'm looking forward to sleeping in until maybe 7 a.m. for the summer ;)
What a cute scrapbook page! And could I just send L to your house for school practice???
also a little random: my verification word is "her hott". Sound like something our girls would have said before speech therapy:)...glad those days are behind us! Yay for Morgan!!!
ok, I'll stop commenting now.

Dawn said...

Don't get teary eyed yet. Zane's still little! Dang they grow up fast though. Sounds like she had a great year. Love the scrapbook page. I wish I still did that :)

Courtney and Andrew said...

Wow kindergarten done! Before you know it she will be graduating! I will probably take you up on your offer. That is the hardest part of packing is dealing with the kids! Thank you so so much!! Hope life is good for you guys! Miss you guys!

BRiTTaNY said...

aw...*tear* my lil sister is growin up!!! :'( ....and uh, this "schoolwork" you have planned for the summer.... doesn't include me, does it??