Friday, January 28, 2011

How sick are you?

How do you know when to take your kids to the doctor?


I wish my kids had the little pop-up timer thing that you find in a frozen turkey. When their sickness reached a level that warranted a trip to the doctor the little red button would pop-up to let me know. The doctor could then reset it for next time.
Unfortunately it doesn't work like that.

So many times I have thought, "It's just a virus. Nothing can be done. I'll keep them as comfortable as possible and give them extra snuggles and they will be fine." Only to then take them to the doctor a few days later and find eardrums about to rupture and rashes that have become staph infection. I feel awful!

So many times I have taken the kids to the doctor to receive that LOOK as the doctor tells me it's just a virus and it will soon pass. The LOOK that tells me I am an over-protective mother and need to relax. And then there is the "sympathy" prescription cough medicine that really doesn't work any better than anything else.

So, Morgan's hernia has been bothering her since December 16th. It usually only sticks out for a few days and then disappears. We went to the doctor and got prescription laxatives, hoping it would be gone within a few weeks. (We are approaching the end of those few weeks and it has not disappeared.)

Today she came home from school with a fever. Is she simply getting the cold that I had last week or is it related to the hernia? Do I freak out and rush her to the doctor, demanding an ultra-sound, or do I fill her full of fluids and children's motrin and call it a cold?

And, of course, it's Friday.
Why do kids always get sick on Friday?

2 comments:

Dawn said...

How long has she had a hernia? Where is it? and are you going to have it surgically repaired? Nojah had one this past summer after our backpacking trip. He was just sure I made him carry too much when I told him they were brought on by straining. Yes another parent of they year award!! If she only has a fever I may not worry yet but I would watch for it to be accompanied with
nausea, vomiting, fast heart rate, sudden pain that continues to get worse. If the bulge turns red, purple or dark color or if you cannot gently push it back in she needs to be seen immediately. If she simply has cold symptoms it's probably not related. I am sure you can always call an urgent care clinic or the ER and talk with someone if you have additional concerns. Good luck and I hope she feels better!

kadejesalee said...

So true, so true! Ty just got his fever Friday night, shocker. He is slowly doing better, so we will see if Monday warants a trip to the hospital.