Tuesday, May 10, 2011

How does your GARDEN grow?

There is something magical about planting a garden. You put the seeds in the dark, rich soil, add a little water and sunshine, and sit back, hoping something will happen. Not being able to see what is taking place under that dirt, it's a lot of anxious waiting. And then, one day, as you sprinkle some water over those seeds, you see a bit of green poking through the dirt. Success!

We have no space for a garden. I decided to try some containers and hopefully grow a few things for salads. With cautious optimism, I filled three pots and let Zane select three seeds. He chose spinach, carrots and flowers. (The flowers will not be eaten, just pretty to look at.) We also had some seedlings growing on a paper towel (Morgan's school project) that we planted as well.

A few days after we planted we had 20 degree temps forecasted for the night so I brought the flowers inside. (They are enjoying being spoiled and are growing nicely on my table.)

We soon had 5 spinach plants burst through the soil. Zane lovingly watered them everyday and I could almost taste the fresh green leaves. A few days later we saw little green carrot leaves, barely visible, and rejoiced in what was looking like a successful attempt at container gardening.


Yesterday, I went to water our little garden and noticed the spinach plants were gone and the dirt was dug up. Smoothing the dirt, I found two plants but the other three were gone. Was it the birds? Was it the wild bunnies that live at the edge of the field behind our house? What creature would dare to eat MY spinach! This morning I am down to one spinach plant and there is a hole low on the side of my planter. Do mice eat spinach? What ever it is I hope it doesn't like carrots.

I guess we are destined to shop at the farmers market this summer for fresh produce. And I hope the creature that enjoyed our spinach is healthy, and happy. Grrrrr!

2 comments:

Jenni Call said...

Bummer! Dang varmints!

Brittany said...

Kill them all!!! So sorry about your loss :/ I too miss the garden in AF.