Thursday, January 5, 2012

{ Be of Good Cheer }



I used to make New Year's Resolutions every year. But I would quickly become overwhelmed with everything I needed to improve in my life and would toss them all aside. A few years ago, I read a great book about setting goals and making them specific, measurable, and realistic. Now I choose one area to focus on for the entire year. What I've found is that all the other little things I want to be better at somehow fall into place as I strive to accomplish my ONE goal for the year.

Last year my goal was FOCUS. I wanted to do better at keeping my FOCUS on the blessings of eternity. In order to do that I had to do better at reading my scriptures, saying my prayers, listening to (and applying) the conference talks, following the promptings of the Spirit, and all the other things that help me keep my FOCUS. (Amazing how that works!)

So, this year I've decided my goal is to find JOY in the journey. It's so easy to be weighed down by our own burdens and the burdens of those we love. It's so easy to see all the bad in the world. I want to find something everyday that brings me JOY.

Sunday, our Relief Society lesson was based on President Monson's message in the January Ensign, "Living the Abundant Life." As we discussed the ABC's required to have an abundant life I kept thinking about a talk President Monson gave in the 2008 General Conference when he encouraged:



"Let us relish life as we live it, find joy in the journey, and share our love with friends and family."

As we seek to have a positive Attitude, Believe in ourselves and others, and have the Courage to not only try but try again, we will have an abundant life and we will find JOY in the journey.



I have the above sign in my bathroom to remind me to "Be of Good Cheer" daily. My goal this year is to recognize the little blessings in everyday life that bring me JOY.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

That's a great resolution! I was just thinking about what I REALLY truly wanted to improve in my life on my run today and I have come up with a list, now I just need to narrow it down and hope I live many more years to come to accomplish the others :-)