Saturday, December 31, 2011

Finishing the Year With a Bang

It was a long, busy day. We got home late. Had dinner late. The kids were rushing around picking up things before they put pajamas on. Suddenly, Zane was jumping up and down, crying, gasping for breath, and blood was streaming from his forehead. He had tripped and hit his head on the corner of the bench at the dining table.

I felt like an octopus mom as I started grabbing paper towels and ice while holding my hand on Zane's head. After a few minutes I peaked at the wound. Man it was big!

I took him to the ER and they took us right back. The doctor kept looking at the wound and teasing Zane about being chased by girls. When he said the girls were gonna love the scar and would be all over him, Zane was about to climb off the table. Finally the doctor said, "It's big enough to need stitches but it's in a good spot for gluing. I sure hate stitching on these little guys." And glue it was. (Can't wait to see how much that tube of super glue cost.)

So, head wounds must make a person hungry. When we got home Zane asked for 2 pancakes with applesauce. (Remember, we had just finished dinner before the accident happened.) I snapped a picture real quick while he was eating. And a side note - Oxyclean really does a great job at getting out blood stains.


Tonight, Zane took a bath and we uncovered the wound to make sure it was healing. Morgan was concerned about the brown stuff and then remembered how many baths it took to wash off her belly after her surgery last spring. "Don't worry. It will come off someday."

The gash is 3/4 of an inch long. Yep. I measured it. It seams to be healing though and hasn't bothered him too much. New rule in our house: No skipping, no running, no hopping!

2 comments:

Jenni Call said...

That is so scary! I am just biding my time! LOL. Glad he is healing.

Dawn said...

Love the new rule :-) Glad he got glued instead of stitched or stapled. Kids seem to take that better :0) I also have to say it's handy to keep superglue around the house for such things!! I think the ER cost of our glue at the hospital is about $100.00???