Sunday, June 22, 2014

Are you broken?

It was a cold, rainy day and the kids had been inside all morning. I needed to move a table at the church so I told them to grab a ball and they could play in the gym before we had to go to Morgan's speech therapy. They were thrilled to have space to run.

I put my stuff away and then joined them in the gym. Open space. Ball. Hoop. 

Suddenly, my brain forgot how old my body really is. I picked up the ball and shot a free throw. I used to be really good at this so I decided to shoot another. I jumped a little higher and was really working on my form. (I had to look good for my kids.) As soon as my left foot came back to the ground, my ankle rolled over. I felt the burning of tearing tissue and I sat in the middle of the floor trying to catch my breath. 

The kids were instantly by my side. The pain was so severe I was about to pass out. Morgan was starting to panic. I firmly called her name and said, "get me a chair and some ice. Go!" There was a chair right there so she slid it over to me and hurried to the kitchen.

She saw a large bag of ice in the freezer and knew that wouldn't work. Then she looked above it and there was a small bag of ice. Perfect. (One of those little miracles.)


I lay there, in the middle of the gym, with my feet on the chair and the ice on my ankle for about 10 minutes. I told the kids to play and assured them I would be fine. They sang and danced for me and tried to make me comfortable. Then, it was time to go.

I only have one key for our church and it goes to a door on the opposite side of the building. AND our church is made up of multiple levels. I not only had to walk from one end of the building to the other, I also had to go down stairs and up stairs and then down stairs again. By the time I reached my car I really thought I'd pass out. I found some Ibuprofen and took two.

After another hour of my foot elevated and the ice still on it, I was in complete pain. We stopped at the doctor's office before heading home. The x-rays showed where it had been broken before (10 years ago) but no new break. However, the doctor explained, torn ligaments hurt worse than a broken bone.

He gave me a beautiful air cast and told me to stay off of it as much as possible for TWO weeks. Then he added that it could take 4 - 6 weeks for it to heal. UGH! I took two more Ibuprofen.


After a sleepless night, I was afraid to look at it. When I broke my ankle my entire foot turned black. It doesn't look so bad. Does it?

Our summer school lesson this week has been real life problem solving skills along with a little first-aid.

Not the best start to our summer vacation. We all need bubble wrap.

1 comment:

Brittany said...

I love that you ended with "We all need bubble wrap", because my thought with this whole experience has been "It's definitely hereditary...." ;) Heal soon! ♥