Wednesday, November 19, 2008

High Mountain Adventures

(WARNING: This post is long and a little sappy.)


It’s kind of crazy that I had to travel miles from home and climb almost 9,000 feet to fall in love with my husband again. Friday we loaded the camper, borrowed a 4-wheeler, and left the kids behind for a weekend adventure with our friends Jonathon and Tiffani. We crossed the border into Alpine, Wyoming then headed into the Caribou National Forest. There was snow on the ground and a chill in the air but we had so much fun!

Jonathon and Tiffani slept in a wall tent with a toasty, warm stove.


Scott and I slept in our camper with full-body polar fleece jumpsuits and lots of blankets.


We rode the 4-wheelers some but spent most of the time hiking up and down the mountain. Scott can blaze a trail through thick trees and dense underbrush on a steep mountain side while looking for elk and keeping track of which direction to go. I spent most of the time watching his feet and my feet, hoping we weren’t lost. Scott was kind enough to wait for me and let me rest often. I thought I was in shape but oh boy. . .



The hunters were anxious to find the elk. We saw 2 bull moose, a buck, and a doe. We saw lots of signs of elk but none were to be found. The mighty hunters were a little disappointed to come home empty handed. (They weren’t smiling this big when we headed home.)




When we weren’t hiking we were sitting around the fire eating and talking. It was so much fun to get to know Jonathon and Tiffani better. And it was really nice to have time to talk to my husband without the interruption of the kids. We missed our kids and thought of them often but it was nice to have a few days of peace and quiet.

I would even go again!



6 comments:

Brandon and Brittany said...

That sounds like so much fun! I'm glad you had a great time.

Rachel Berry said...

Okay I'm gonna be honest, your a better woman than me because I would not go into the freezing woods with Lloyd. I'm a much better loving wife in my warm home. :) Glad you had a great time and I love Scott's "smile" :-)

Dawn said...

Oh, I am so glad you got to do that! Those moments are much needed when you have children. Tell Scott I am sorry about his bad luck. It reminds me of when he lived next door to us and referred to us as "granola crunchers" Ha Ha. Tob didn't have any luck hunting this year as well.

tiffani said...

Hey, neighbor! Your pictures turned out great!! I have to one with you and I. I will e-mail it to you so you can add it if you want! We look super goofy! It's awesome. We had ton's of fun too. This will have to be an annual outing!! Maybe Jonathan will actually get something next year!!!!

Gwen said...

All I can say is you and Tiffani are AMAZING!!! I think I could actually pull off a trip like this, but I'm not sure Greg could :) (don't tell him I said that!)

Sarah's Project said...

I'm jealous in a weird kind of way. Not at all for the cold, the hunting, or the hiking, but for the chatting. I know that's pretty pathetic, but I would have loved to stay up late to laugh with you guys -