Thursday, March 31, 2011

Can I get an "I told you so!"

Last October, Scott's employer provided them with a flu shot. Scott strongly encouraged me to take the kids into a local pharmacy so we could all have a flu shot. I put him off by telling him I was still thinking about it. Well, soon the time for a flu shot was gone and the kids and I had none.

My reasoning was that Morgan is so rarely sick and Zane needs to get sick now so he won't be sick when he starts kindergarten. Besides, influenza is just a natural part of the winter months. Just like wind and snow, it is to be expected.

Morgan missed two days of school for illness in first grade. She has now missed 6 days for illness in second grade. (We're not counting her tummy troubles.) Her teacher is so good to help her make up the work but she really struggles for several days. I feel awful that she has missed so much!

My dear husband has not once said, "I told you so." He simply asks if I need him to pick up something from the store. He has not put guilt on me at all. He merely brings home more popsicles. While the rest of us are coughing, feverish, and achy he goes off to work. When he comes home he tolerates our grumpiness (and the messy house) and helps me with dinner.

I have learned my lesson. And I am thankful for such a wonderful husband!

2 comments:

Jenni Call said...

Sorry to hear you are all sick. Ramen is amazing for sore throats. Go Brit! Hope you all get better soon.

Dawn said...

Don't feel bad the shots often protect you from the WRONG strain of flu, it's a guessing game each year. so honestly you could have gotten the flu shot and still be sick. Lots of people around here are sick with similar symptoms. We never get the flu shots and have fared well each year :-) Now saying that I will probably die next year of the flu...... Anyway, I hope you all feel better SOON!!