Friday, June 10, 2011

A Simple Act of Kindness

Next week is our wedding anniversary. This date not only brings memories of the day Scott and I were married for eternity, it also brings memories of preparing to move here. It was last year at this time that Scott had accepted a job offer in, what seemed to be, a far off land. We celebrated our anniversary and then he left to start the new job, in a new state, 10 hours from home.

I was left with the overwhelming task of caring for the children AND the dog while getting our house ready to be sold and everything packed. Fortunately, I had Brittany there to help. Unfortunately, she was working full time and trying to spend time with her friends before they all went separate directions. While I was thankful our home had sold so quickly, I felt the burden of getting everything done in one month.

The stress of trying to move was compounded with feelings of not wanting to leave our community that we had known for 4 years. (The longest we had ever lived in one spot.) We liked our house. We liked our ward. We liked our friends. We did not like Scott's job though and this was the best job offer he had gotten.

I needed help but I didn't know how to ask for help. As I sorted through stuff, trying to decide what to pack and what to get rid of, I didn't even know what anyone could do to help me. School had just ended for the summer and families were busy making preparations for vacations. I didn't want to bother them. And again, I didn't know what to ask them to do.

I am SO thankful for those dear friends who saw me struggling, and even though they didn't want us to leave, stepped up and offered to help. A simple thing like letting my children spend the afternoon playing at their house was a HUGE help. It gave me time to pack things without the kids unpacking. And the neighbors who brought us dinner so I didn't have to worry about what to feed my family was a HUGE help. That was the best food I have ever eaten! And when the neighbor boy showed up on his riding mower he probably thought I was strange as I cried and thanked him.

To them it was no big deal. It took little effort on their part. Many expressed a desire to do more to help. To me it was HUGE! As we gathered one last time as friends to say good bye, there were no words to express the gratitude that I felt for those dear people that had become our family. I promised myself that I would do better to see the needs of others. A simple act of kindness can be HUGE to the person who receives it.

"The Lord's way to help those in temporal need requires people who out of love have consecrated themselves and what they have to God and to His work."
President Henry B. Eyring

No comments: