Sunday, June 26, 2011

Tornado Warning

(The pictures are completely backwards from the order they were taken but my computer is having issues these days and it was too much work to try and fix them.)

We had been at the park earlier and watched the black clouds roll by just north of us. The angry sky grumbled the entire time we were there. When everyone started leaving, I decided to follow.

I was giving Zane a bath, getting things ready for Sunday, not really thinking about the weather. I had checked earlier and the report was for scattered thunderstorms all evening, which is to be expected. No mention of a tornado so I was not too worried.

Scott had gone out to give the dog water and quickly came back in and yelled for me to come look at these clouds. I turned on the radio. Yep. Tornado Warning was in affect until 8pm. The man said "get into your basements now and if you are in a mobile home, leave immediately."

Scott grabbed the keys, I pulled Zane out of the tub, and we jumped in the car. Scott was a little annoyed that I made him stop so I could take pictures. The clouds are just so fascinating to me.

We first went to the feedlot, south of town. Scott parked the car and we looked up. The storm was almost directly over us. We left. I called some friends in town who have a basement and we headed there. It was more fun to watch the clouds and the hail with friends anyway.

When the threat had passed, we returned home to find some large dents in the pickup and no power in our house. We brushed our teeth by candle light using a water bottle. Then we read scriptures with a flashlight and crawled into bed. (Almost felt like camping.)

The storm passing over town.

One of the larger hail stones. Glad they weren't all this big!






There is awesome power in these clouds! So incredible! Not like anything we have experienced before. The hail came down with so much force!
We are ready to move back to Oregon.

2 comments:

Jenni Call said...

Geesh! That is scary! Come over to our basement any time. We were pretty obvious...standing outside to catch the action. Glad you all were safe. Hope Zane can finish that bath!

BRiTTaNY said...

Or even back to Idaho . . . or you could try another new state and come to Utah, I know how you guys like to mix it up!