Monday, October 17, 2011

Missionary Boys

Having been on the receiving end of letters from missionaries, I know that they often share funny experiences. Hopefully, the missionaries we had in our home for dinner recently are not writing home about us.


I woke up Friday morning to a messy house and a message on my phone from the missionaries. I forgot I had signed up to feed them that night. My schedule was packed but I knew we would make it work.


Thankfully, Scott had the day off. While I took kids to school and went to meetings all morning he cleaned the house. I picked him up at the truck repair shop and hurried home to get some food in the crockpot for dinner. I got some work done and then we hurried back to pick up his truck.


At 5:00 my stew was still CRUNCHY and my rolls were not rising. I remained calm. I put an apple crisp in the oven, hoping the heat would help the rolls rise, and then quickly transferred the stew to a pot on the stove.


The missionaries arrived just after 5:30 as I was putting the rolls in the oven and the stew was madly boiling away. It was nice to visit with them and Scott explained how a feedlot operates. (One grew up around ranches in Oregon and the other likes to trail ride.)


We ate our al dente stew and small rolls. I pulled out the apple crisp and it had cooked too long – the apples had turned to apple sauce. The boys ate it all but that doesn’t mean it was really good. They’re growing boys.


As we finished eating Zane promptly relieved his gas. (He did get up from the table first and stand behind me to do so.) It was loud enough that it could not be ignored. AND I did NOT want them thinking it was me. I excused my son and explained he is lactose intolerant.


The missionaries were great sports. I think the one was a little flustered. He spilled his juice. He apologized. It was an interesting dinner party. Fortunately we ended with a good, spiritual message before they were on their way.


025


I can only imagine the letters that went home! And it makes me think about the letters I will receive someday when my own son is a missionary. Zane is hoping to serve a mission in Idaho when he gets big.

No comments: