Monday, October 31, 2011

Productive Weekend

After the WINTER storm last week, and the promise of another this week, we realized that our small stash of wood is not going to last long. It's time to get serious about finding firewood!




I love the sound of a chainsaw. I guess it just brings back fond memories of many summer days spent hauling wood when I was a kid. We would pack a lunch and drive a few minutes into the mountains. Sometimes we got to ride down the mountain on the huge stack of wood in the back of the pickup. (Back when seatbelts weren't required.)




Now we live in a tree-less state and we have a wood stove. Morgan and Zane were so confused when I said we were going wood cutting. Strange how something that was a huge part of my childhood is a mysterious activity to them.



Nope. That's not a monkey in the tree. Scott climbed up to cut off a dead branch. Maybe not the safest way to do it but he got it done. And boy can he move quick with a running chainsaw and limbs falling all around. We only had a few minor scratches.



Just a few miles from our house is a row of trees separating the corn field from the road. Not quite the experience I was thinking of but the kids had fun climbing on down limbs and searching for corn cobs that had been left behind in the field. We did find some decent wood and had the truck loaded in about an hour. We planned out our next trip for another load, hopefully before it snows too much.



Scott spent the morning hunting with some friends and then went back out in the evening before it got too dark. There are hundreds of pheasant living in the field behind our house. We made a small dent in the population so it will be safe for Brittany to come visit us. :o)

Anyone want to come for tacos?


2 comments:

BRiTTaNY said...

devil birds... glad you got rid of a few!!

Dawn said...

I think Pheasants are kind of cute Brit. What's your problem? Regarding the wood cutting experience, yes I would agree it's a bit different then our childhood. Hope they at least got some corn out of the deal. I like seeing the pictures of snow. I just came to the realization yesterday that I am ready now :-) Bring on snowboarding season!