Friday, January 4, 2008

Adventures in Driving


Driving with a teen is often scary enough. Fortunately, our adventures have not been too eventful. Usually Brittany is busy singing and changing the radio. I calmly say things like “slow down,” “two hands on the wheel,” and “stay in your lane please.” Morgan asks why Brittany has to practice and lets it be known she would prefer to have Mom drive. One Saturday we had gone to Pocatello (27miles away) to buy groceries. It was an exhausting day and the little ones were asleep in the back seat as we drove home. Brittany had left the radio turned down as her and I chatted about her life. We came up behind a slower vehicle and I told Brittany she would need to slow down or pass. She chose to pass. Just as she came up beside this vehicle the other driver began to pass a second vehicle. Brittany cautiously began inching over onto the shoulder of the freeway. I think we were both praying and prayers are answered. The other driver decided to look over his shoulder and saw us there. He quickly moved back into his lane and Brittany carefully moved back into hers. We got past the vehicle and Brittany quietly said, “I think I am going to pee my pants.” I assured her that she had done well. Now the ground is covered with ice and snow so Brittany’s driving practice is on hold. She is quite upset that friends younger than her are driving. Maybe she can get her license this spring.

2 comments:

Rachel Berry said...

Teenage Driving-- I'm not looking forward to that. Brittany loving your straight hair. Could you look more grown up?

:)Rachel

Dawn said...

Ok that's scary I remember when she was born. I can't believe they grow up so fast. I am sure you are doing a fantastic Job behind the wheel Brittany! Enjoy the snow!