Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Can I have those boots when you're done with them?

One of the joys of raising children on a budget is hand-me-downs. When I was a kid I loved getting a box of clothes from my cousin. It was better than shopping!



Being the youngest, Zane has received some hand-me-downs from his sister. My favorite is the fuzzy kitty-print jammies with the pink trim. (He looks so cute in them!) His favorite was the pink Hello Kitty snow boots. (Notice I said WAS.) I’m sure many of you have seen him in them.

A couple weeks ago I was taking the girls to school and got a call from my friend who owns a local preschool and daycare. She needed help as soon as possible. Fortunately, I had gotten dressed that morning and actually dressed Zane as well.

When we got to the preschool I realized Zane was wearing his snow boots and we did not have any other shoes. He had no choice but to wear boots all day. After quiet time, the kids were putting their shoes back on. Another boy noticed Zane’s boots and started teasing him about wearing girl boots. Zane didn’t respond to him and hurried off to play.

I was thinking my son was made of steel. He didn’t care what others think. But for the first time in his life he is now requesting “boy” clothes and shoes. The pink boots that he loved so dearly are no longer appropriate. He asked me to buy him “boy” snow boots. Now, when he is getting dressed in the morning he will point out that he is wearing a “boy” shirt. I guess that is the end of pink hand-me-downs. However, I do love my BOY!



No comments: