Monday, December 26, 2011

It's Christmas!

Morgan was the first one up and ready to open gifts! She patiently surveyed the gifts and quietly waited for Zane to wake up. (I was never that patient!) At 8:00 Scott couldn't wait any longer and woke Zane up. We had church at 10:00 so it was time to get things done!



This summer Zane REALLY wanted a "Cars" blanket. I promised he would get one for Christmas. I kept my promise and he was SO glad I remembered.



We gave them a few minutes to play and then it was off to church.

I woke up in a slump. I was feeling a little Charlie Brownish. I was sad Brittany wasn't with us. I was mad that Santa brought the kids BB guns when I specifically said NO. I could feel the tears building but was determined to smile. After all, it was Christmas!

Then my phone started ringing. My mom had been life-flighted early that morning for an emergency blood transfusion. Worried and unsure of her condition, we headed to church.

Every song we sang brought tears to my eyes. Tears of gratitude for my Savior. Tears of sadness for my Brittany. Tears of concern for my mom. Scott hugged me and asked if I was going to be okay. I choked through the closing song and wiped my eyes.

We had a wonderful ham dinner with homemade scalloped potatoes and spent a quiet afternoon at home. Scott took the kids outside to try out the new guns. Zane came in with a huge grin, "This is the best Christmas EVER!" he announced. His words brought joy to my heart.

After talking to my dad I felt much better. He was calm and taking care of things at home. I also got to talk to Brittany and finally felt the peace that I had been looking for all day. I am so thankful for modern technology that makes those miles seem a little shorter.

I am also thankful that Scott had the entire day off. I can't remember that ever happening. It was nice to be at home together! And then I wept tears of joy.

No comments: