Sunday, October 7, 2012

A Journey of Learning

I always look forward to General Conference weekend. I love to hear the inspiring messages from our Prophet and Apostles! It's hard to pick a favorite because I was inspired by every talk.

Having recently met the new General Relief Society President, Linda Burton, made her talk extra special. Her topic is also something that has been on my mind a lot lately. She pointed out how we are surrounded by people who need our help. I loved her call to action:

First observe, then serve.

I also loved her reminder to not just help someone in the way we think they need help. Instead we need to find out what help they actually need. (We wouldn't put a bandaid on a broken arm and call it a good deed.) Sometimes, it takes a little effort to find out what the real need is. Always, it takes guidance by the Spirit to know how best to help. And President Monson reminded us to act right away when a prompting comes.

I also loved President Monson's challenge. He asked us to take a step back and look for all the blessings we have had in our lives. Often we overlook the little blessings that come to us. He said, "Take an inventory of your life and record the blessings you've received over the years." What a great way to increase your gratitude!

We are so blessed!

No comments: