Friday, October 10, 2008

Random Memories of my Grandpa

My earliest memory of Grandpa is whisker hugs. When ever we saw him he would give us big hugs and rub our cheeks with his whiskers. He was a practical jokester who loved to tease.

Grandpa was so friendly and outgoing. He loved to go to town and visit people. The amazing thing was he always found someone that he had a connection to. Either he was related to them or had worked with them or knew someone they were related to or they were related to someone he had worked with. Somehow he always found a connection and then carried on a lengthy conversation.

Grandpa was a hard worker. Most of my memories are of him after he retired from the sawmill but he was always busy. He grew a big garden every summer with the biggest vegetables and the hottest radishes. He kept his lawn nice and spent many summers getting wood for the wood stove to keep grandma warm all winter. He always found time to take Grandma Huckleberry picking or build something from wood. He always had a project to work on.

Grandpa drove a hot rod. I don’t know what kind of car it was but there were not very many of them around. It was a cool shade of olive green and it sounded like a race car. He was pleased that he was able to do most of the maintenance on it himself and kept it running good for many years.

Grandpa was always willing to help. What ever we needed – rides here and there or furniture for my first apartment. He would make trips to the store for Grandma to find the exact shade of yarn she needed to finish one of her projects. He would bring her to my home to baby sit and return later to pick her up. Grandpa was always willing to share.

Although we didn’t visit very often it was fun to go see Grandpa. He would show us cards and pictures received from other relatives and always had a story to share. My fondest memory will always be our last visit. I didn’t know that would be the last time I saw him on this earth so I am thankful for the opportunity to tell him that I loved him.

No comments: