Saturday, May 26, 2012

An Educational Journey

I've been planning our summer school adventures for a few months now. I have LISTS of things I want to do with the kids to keep them learning all summer long. The first lessons I've learned are you have to be flexible with the schedule and I, yes me, have to have patience. 

 I've got workbooks and a binder for each of the kids. My thought is at the end of the summer they will each have a portfolio of all the things we did over the summer. Maybe they will think it's super cool and want to do it again next summer. Maybe.

I've created a weekly planner to organize my lists of things to do. I created a daily worksheet to give Morgan some basic practice on the things she needs to work on most: time, money, calendar, and math facts. I also threw in a little writing corner where she will write about one thing she is thankful for each day. And I've printed off some worksheets from the internet. (Yay for Pinterest!)

Ready, set, go!

The kids have been SO anxious to start. The last day of school was Tuesday. I thought we would take the rest of the week off and hit it hard on Monday. Now, we have Brit and Levi coming to visit and we are going to spend a week in Utah. First lesson learned - be flexible with the schedule.

We sat down today to work on our first project and a page from their workbooks. Zane was struggling with writing a nine so I was going to hold his hand and help him. Suddenly he acted like he didn't know how to hold a pencil. We struggled. I got frustrated. Jokingly, in my frustration, I told him I was going to kick him out of my school if he didn't follow directions. I know. Not the best thing to say. Even in joking. It took several minutes of crying and apologizing for us to be friends again. He finally forgave me and I promised never to kick him out of school. (Man I need to learn to play nice!) Second lesson learned - be patient.

This is going to be a challenge but hopefully it will be fun too, for us all. 
We are off on an educational journey!

1 comment:

Gwen said...

I hear ya! We are actually jumping into the world of homeschooling and I'm quickly learning these two things. Isn't it funny how different each child's personalities are?! I definitely have to be VERY careful (and SO VERY patient) with how I teach Wyatt. Lydia...she's a breeze! It should be interesting! Good luck with your summer goals!