Monday, May 28, 2012

Spiderman Doesn't Fly

The kids had played outside all day on Saturday. They were so excited about the new horse trailer! It was time to start dinner so I had them come in and clean up and take a break. Zane put on his Spiderman costume while I turned on a movie for them. 

Dinner was almost done when I heard Zane crying. Morgan said she didn't know what happened because she was laying on her back and Zane was jumping over her and then he started crying. Zane said he jumped and caught himself on the couch and his wrist popped.

There was no sign of injury but I gave him an ice pack and told him to SIT STILL. I finished dinner and was putting it on the table as Scott walked in the door. He called the kids to the table and Zane wouldn't move. He was now laying on the couch. When I tried to get him to sit up he started crying again. I took the ice pack off and saw there was now a bulge on the side of his arm, just above his wrist. I new instantly it was broken.

Scott came over and looked at Zane's arm. He agreed with me. While I got another ice pack and grabbed my purse and keys, Scott got the costume off of Zane and his shorts back on. By the time we got Zane into the car he was shivering uncontrollably and about to pass out.

I quickly drove to the hospital where we sat and waited for the on-call doctor and x-ray tech to get there. (Holiday weekends are not the best time to go to the ER.) The nurse gave Zane a double dose of Motrin and we snuggled on the hospital bed while we waited.


Zane's favorite part of the hospital visit was the wheelchair ride to the x-ray room. The break, fortunately, was just above the wrist so he only needed a short cast. Unfortunately, we are still paying for his last ER visit. Just add it to my bill! Nurse Caswell was right, the broken collar bone at age 1 was only the beginning of our hospital visits.


We decided that Spiderman needs web to fly.

1 comment:

Brittany said...

Oh Linda, that nurse has some impressive fortune telling abilities!!!! Tell Zane we'll sign it for him :)