Monday, September 15, 2008

My Big Brother




My big brother was your typical older brother. He was always “in-charge” you know, the “boss” of everyone. He liked to keep us in line. When he was about nine my parents left him in charge while they went to a short meeting at the church. He convinced us that he heard something in the basement and soon had us all scared. We called our Grandpa and he came and got us.

Lloyd also was a handy-man, like our Dad. He thought he could fix anything. The bikes were always being torn apart for a re-build. A pile of scrap lumber would soon become the coolest fort. One summer he was helping our dad dig holes to construct the gigantic swing set in our yard. I stuck my foot in the hole to check his progress and he dropped the post-hole digger on my toe. I learned to stay back when he was working.

He was also a mighty hunter. He went on many hunting trips with our dad and uncles. He also shot a couple windows at our house. And there was the time we were camping and I was walking peacefully a short distance from our campsite. Lloyd said to our younger brother, “I bet you can’t hit her with your BB gun.” They got me and they lost their BB gun for many moons.

He really was a good big brother. He protected me in High School and even took my friends and I cruising downtown a few times. He also got me my first job at Albertsons and helped me buy my first car. And now that we are miles apart I know I can still call him when I have a problem with my computer or need advice on what carpet to get for my house.

Happy Birthday Lloyd! We love you!

2 comments:

Rachel Berry said...

Now there are a couple of stories I had never heard. Sounds like a typical big brother. :)

Oh and Lloyd was grateful that I don't have the pictures you posted.

Unknown said...

It was tough to decide which pictures to share. The one with the afro perm was very tempting.

Hope he had a happy day. :)