Friday, September 19, 2008

What is it?



If you said a bowl full of cherries you were right. If you said a bowl full of chokecherries you were more right.



How many chokecherries does it take to make 5 pints of syrup? Let’s just say LOTS! Our neighbor gave us a jar of syrup last summer and we were hooked. We licked that jar clean and wondered if we would ever taste the sweet syrup again. So, when one of the guys Scott works with asked if he wanted chokecherries he jumped at the chance.

Last week, when we had nothing going on (HA-HA), Scott brought home a huge bag of chokecherries and asked me to make some syrup. The bag sat in the refrigerator for a week and I finally pulled them out yesterday. It took me all day, with a couple of interruptions, to sort through them and make the syrup. I wondered if it was really worth all of the work. But after that first bite of pancake with chokecherry syrup it was definitely worth it.
Yummm!

4 comments:

BRiTTaNY said...

Yummy yummy! I liked the syrup mucho!!! And i don't usually like stuff like that... It was wwayyyy tasty. See you tonight!!

~*~britty

Dawn said...

Wow, I didn't know you could do anything with those little buggers. My kids eat them off my parents bush each year until they are gone or dead. Syrup sounds kind of yummy! Love the pics of powder puff football. I always wanted to play but our Volleyball coach would never let us. It was a huge bummer. Glad Brittany had a great time. Also cute pictures of the kids on the horse. Everyone loves a good horseback ride! :0)

Brigitte said...

I'm so impressed with your syrup adventure. I feel the same way about canning, it sure takes a lot of time and effort but definatly worth all the work. Happy canning :)

Shell in your Pocket said...

How yummy that sounds! Your blog is so cute...so glad I stopped by!
-Sandy Toes